Thursday, April 22, 2010

Fluffy Butt



Is there anything more squeezable than a baby's squishy little butt? If I didn't have to worry about little puddles and pooh, then I would let that adorable little tush roam free! Who doesn't love to be naked? Sadly, I have to rein in the urge to let my little guy frolic in his birthday suit and cover that adorable little butt with paper, plastic, and chemicals. Oh, wait a minute, that's not right! I want to cover that precious little butt in something natural, breathable, reusable, comfortable.




I really don't get why more people dont use cloth diapers, especially with so many people trying to be more "green." I just cant justify adding 7,000 disposable diapers PER CHILD to landfills when I know how easy and how much cheaper it is to use cloth instead. I did the math the other day and it cost us roughly $100 to buy cloth diapers and covers. If we used Pampers disposables, on average we would spend that same amount in a month! Don't forget, I can re-use our cloth on a second baby, or re-sell them. Ever tried to re-sell a used disposable?




Something else that really bothers me about disposables is the whole "stay dry" feature that allows you to leave your baby in a wet diaper for hours before the baby "feels" wet. I don't really care if the baby "feels" dry, the fact is that if they are wet then there is urine trapped in that diaper next to their skin, and no air flow. It drives me crazy when I see a baby with a loaded disposable diaper sagging to their knees. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should! No wonder so many babies have issues with diaper rash.




I think it's important to say that we have used disposables, and it is convenient to just chuck them in the garbage when they are used, but I can't get past the fact that 1/4 of the time we use them, Mama has the pleasure of changing the sheets and outfit in addition to the diaper. Ugh!




I will just stick with my good ol' trusty (and inexpensive) unbleached cotton Little Lions prefold seconds diapers and used OS Wonder Wraps or handmade wool soakers courtesy of Auntie Rachael. Besides, who can resist such a cute tush?


0 comments:

Post a Comment