Monday, April 26, 2010

No more 'poo!

I have always been a grease-ball. If I wash my hair in the morning, by 2pm it is greasy and gross. I've always kept it short because it is so thin, dull and flat. In fact it has always been so dull that I was in the habit of dying it my natural color just to make it shiny and prettier. What kind of sense does that make?

Great news! No longer am I a grease-ball!

A couple months ago I read about people going without shampoo, and how it is supposed to be this wonderful thing, but I wasn't really buying it. Then I saw an infomercial for this Wen hair care line and they basically repeated everything I had read about shampoo doing more damage than good, so I decided to give the "No 'Poo" thing a shot. After reading a couple blogs I found that many people who skip shampoo replace it with 2 T. of baking soda mixed with about a cup of water, massage it into the scalp, rinse, then mix about 2 T. apple cider vinegar with a cup or two of water and pour over the length of your hair, and again rinse. I am proud to say that I haven't used shampoo for 2 weeks and my hair looks awesome! It's like I have a whole new head of hair! It's shiny, soft, has a nice curl to it, and I don't know how, but it feels a little thicker and silkier too. And grease? What grease? It takes about 48 hours now for my hair to get greasy like it used to in just 12 hours. Amazing! I read that some people have an adjustment period where it takes their body to adjust to not needing to make so much oils, but I really didn't. Whenever I wash it, I let it air dry and it looks 100% better than it used to.

If you are wondering why shampoo is so bad for your hair, there are people/websites who will explain it better than I, but basically the shampoo strips all of your natural oils that are produced to protect the hair, so your scalp goes into overdrive producing crazy amounts of oil. In addition to that the shampoo can make your hair dry, limp, dull, frizzy so we then buy products to correct it, like hot oil treatments, conditioner, detangler, shine serums, etc. Do yourself a favor and try going shampoo free for a month. Your hair will look amazing, you will save a ton of money on hair products, introduce less chemicals into your body, and reduce your carbon footprint. It's a win-win!

0 comments:

Post a Comment