Sunday, June 13, 2010

Oh Baking Soda, How I love you!

Earlier this year, I posted here about my new love for going shampoo free in favor of baking soda and apple cider vinegar. It has been about 2 months, and I'm still a big fan. My hair is looking and feeling great, and seems to be growing faster.

Now onto my skin care. I have been using Proactive Renewing Cleanser or Deep Cleansing Wash on my face for years, and I really like it, but it's pricey at $20 for a small bottle that lasts me about 2 months. Since I ran out, I started using plain baking soda instead. I figured, if it cleans my hair then why not my face too? It is working great to keep acne at bay. I'm not the first to think of this, but it's new to me. :)

Just wet your face, then rub a big pinch (about 1/4 t.) of baking soda all over your face, concentrating on any oily areas. Either rinse it off right away for normal cleaning, or keep it on as a mask for more of a deep clean and acne treatment. My husband has started using it too since going back to work in a kitchen, and it seems to really help minimize the inevitable breakouts.

Price comparison:
Proactive scrub:  $20/60 portions =  $.3333
Baking Soda:  $.70/403 (1/4 t.) portions = $.0017

1 comment:

  1. I never thought of using Baking Soda for acne! Hmm, I think I may try this out - and tell my 17 yr-old nephew about this too!

    Thanks for being on my Blog Roll - innovative projects during this recession! LOL

    ReplyDelete