Saturday, February 12, 2011

Breastfeeding in Public?

In case you didn't know, I'm a big supporter of breastfeeding. Breastfeeding infants, toddlers, in public, at home, along with supplementing if necessary, baby led weaning, I'm a fan of it all. In my opinion, feeding your lo in a bathroom is not acceptable. Having to drape a blanket over you to nurse? Um, no thanks. I don't hide under a blanket to eat, why should my baby? Ok, ok, unless baby is easily distracted and it helps- that's fine. Anyway, despite my support of BFing in public, I've only been able to/needed to do it a handful of times. Between my tig ol' bitties, and the need to supplement lo for health reasons, it just didn't work so well/wasn't necessary in the past. Well, I'm proud to say that at playgroup this week, in the middle of the mall playground, I whipped out a boob and fed my little guy ! He wanted to nurse despite having snacks and a sippy available, and after my initial hesitation, we did it! I was a little shy at first and wanted to hide my stomach and breast with a nursing cover one of the other moms offered me, but wee one wasn't having it, and I don't blame him. I got a few people who couldn't stop glancing at us, but oh well. It's like they've never seen an 8 year old nursing before! He was sitting on my lap and doing a good job of covering me, so no worries. I have to admit, I'm proud!

By the way, just kidding about the 8 year old thing. Wee one is only 15 months. ;) Hehe


0 comments:

Post a Comment